Active Substance: spike oil
This medicine is available without prescription.
However, you still need to use Tavipec carefully prevents to get the best results from it.
– Keep this leaflet. You may need it again.
– Ask your pharmacist if you need more information or advice.
– You must contact a doctor if your symptoms worsen or do not improve after 14 days.
– If any of the side effects gets serious, or if you notice any side effects not listed in this leaflet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
In this leaflet:
1.What Tavipec capsules is and what it is used for
2. Before you take Tavipec capsules tubes
3. How to take Tavipec capsules – bronchial emphysema,
4. Possible side effects
5. How to store Tavipec capsules
6. Further information
1. WHAT TAVIPEC CAPSULES IS AND WHAT IT IS USED FOR
How it works:
Tavipec capsules contain spike oil, a pure herbal active substance, which is the essential oil of lavender. Tavipec capsules are well tolerated.
Spike oil plays several active roles in the healing process.
It has the following effects:
• Tavipec is an expectorant (a medicine that loosens / clears mucus and phlegm): Thick mucus is loosened and conveyed towards the mouth, allowing it to be “coughed up” more easily. Spike oil has been shown to quicken the movement of small hairs (cilia) covering the lining of the airways, thereby improving the self-cleansing process within the respiratory tract.
• Immunostimulation: Tavipec boosts the body’s non-specific defence mechanisms, by activating white blood cells known as leukocytes.
• Spike oil has an antimicrobial effect; it prevents the growth of various bacteria and fungi (including tuberculosis bacteria) and inactivates toxins, produced by disease-causing organisms.
What it is used for: Herbal medicinal product.
As an expectorant (a medicine used to make it easier to cough up phlegm and mucus) and to support antibiotic treatment in cases of:
– acute and chronic bronchitis (inflammation of the bronchial tubes),
– bronchiectasis (widening of the bronchial tubes),
– laryngobronchitis (a disease causing inflammation of the voice box and bronchial tubes),
– smokers’ cough,
– sinusitis (inflamed sinuses) and
– bronchitis in patients with lung tuberculosis.
2. BEFORE YOU TAKE TAVIPEC CAPSULES
Do not take Tavipec capsules
– if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to spike oil or any of the other ingredients of Tavipec.
Take special care with Tavipec capsules
– if symptoms should persist or if you do not feel any beneficial effect after using Tavipec you should consult your doctor as soon as possible.
Not enough studies on Tavipec capsules have been carried out in children.
Taking other medicines
To date, no interactions have been observed.
Please tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking, or have recently taken, any other medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription.
Taking Tavipec capsules with food and drink
To date, no interactions have been observed.
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before taking any medicine.
Tavipec may be used during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Driving and using machines
Tavipec has no effects on the ability to drive or use machines.
Important information about some of the ingredients of Tavipec capsules
3. HOW TO TAKE TAVIPEC CAPSULES
Please ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
Adults and adolescents aged 12 and over: 2 capsules three times a day.
Tavipec capsules should be swallowed whole with some liquid, 30 minutes before a meal.
Depending on the nature of the disease, Tavipec capsules may also be used over longer periods.
If you take more Tavipec capsules than you should
No case of overdose has been reported.
If you forget to take Tavipec capsules
Do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten dose.
If you stop taking Tavipec capsules
If you have any further questions on the use of this product, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
4. POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS
Like all medicines, Tavipec can cause-side effects, although not everybody gets them. If any of the side effects gets serious, or if you notice any side effects not listed in this leaflet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
Depending on individual sensitivity and the amount taken, side effects such as belching and mild nausea may occur.
Your breath may also develop a faint smell of essential oil. However, this effect is mostly considered to be acceptable.
5. HOW TO STORE TAVIPEC CAPSULES
Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
Keep in the outer carton, in order to protect from light.
Do not use Tavipec after the expiry date which is stated on the carton after << EXP >>. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
Medicines should not be disposed of via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of medicines no longer required. These measures will help to protect the environment.
6. FURTHER INFORMATION
What Tavipec capsules contain
– The active substance is: spike oil. 1 capsule contains 0.15 g spike oil
– The other ingredients are: gelatin, glycerol, quinoline yellow (El 04), sunset yellow (E110), methacrylic acid-ethyl acrylate-copolymer, sodium laurilsulfate, propylene glycol, polysorbate 80, glycerol monostearate.
What- Tavipec-capsule look-like and contents of the pack
Boxes of 30, 60 and 100 gastro-resistant capsules (soft)
Pharm. Fabrik Montavit Ges.m.b.H.
6067 Absam, Austria
phone: +43 5223 57926 0 fax: +4352235792611
Distributor and Marketing Authorisation Holder
Mabec Brown Ltd,
phone: +234 (0) 1 4543538
NAFDAC Reg. No.
For any information about this medicine, please contact the local representative of the Marketing Authorisation Holder.
This leaflet was last approved in 02/2008.